Side thought from moi given to a mentoree yesterday that may be of interest.
…(big picture stuff)
Sustainability in this industry and generally in business, requires
- first…balance in your life needs …
which doesn’t mean equal amounts of time allocated to everything – but balance as it applies to you (your % allocation of family, rest, etc)
No different to the need to have breaks during a mixing session to keep your ears tuned, or breaks in sets at a gig, so generally you need to “have a life” – allow time for other things, social, training, etc
BUT that doesn’t mean equal amounts of time allocated to everything – its about finding balance as it applies to you and your needs (your % allocation of family, rest, etc)
- awareness that this % balance equation and other factors (industry and life based) will change over time.
Change is one of the constants in this industry and always has been. Whether through external influences like advances in technology or delivery platforms etc – or internal influences such as health, changing voice, a new direction.
You need to be conscious of change, able to analyse it and decide if going to adapt to it or not – and be comfortable with your choice and the ramifications of it
- Then there is passion for what you do
That will be your driver to get you through the low spots
- Integrity…your word is your bond …your promise delivered is your proof source in this industry where networking and referrals are key
- in some parts of the industry (but not all) creativity comes next ..
being able to sustain creativity and new thoughts is not as easy as some may think (and there are techniques to help for some)
- and then there is focus, consistency and consistent application over time.
Within and around all that sits the ‘other stuff’ (marketing, gear etc .specific to your area)